Monday, March 8, 2010

Cross-train Philosophies

I almost used the title "Cross-train religions" as this was the initial thought. First some background on this...

According to our friends on Wikipedia, cross-training "refers to training in different ways to improve overall performance. It takes advantage of the particular effectiveness of each training method, while at the same time attempting to neglect the shortcomings of that method by combining it with other methods that address its weaknesses."

I've done a bit of cross-training myself. On any given week, I ride my bicycle (my primary transportation), kick the shoes off to run on the beautiful beaches of Oahu, come to the brink of spitting out lunch during a CrossFit workout or be on the verge of passing out during a study session on the mats learning Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.

It's not just professional mixed martial artists doing it, long distance runners benefit from it and even Men's Health cannot deny the benefits of cross-training. If you're familiar with the famous P90X system then you understand the idea of "muscle confusion."

On religion/spirituality/whatever you want to call it, Jesus has been said to travel to learn ways of Buddhist. Scientology is essentially the Eastern philosophies structured into a system that is digestible by the West - cross-training religions. Yesterday I heard that the best Reiki practitioners are those that have an understanding of the fundamentals of other alternative healing methods.

Why not your LIFE?

No comments:

Post a Comment