Tuesday, August 24, 2010

All worms are not created equal

There's the red kind that I believe I'm using and purchased at Waikiki Worm Co.:

Eisenia fetida (E. Fetida) & Eisenia Andrei (E. Andrei)

I'l reconfirm with the shop as to what mix of breeds they sell.

The two listed above are generally found under piles of decaying organice matter (leaves, manure, etc) and are ideal for home composting. Contrast them to the Earthworm as they create underground burrows and do not like to be disturbed - you'l constanyly be moving a bin around to plant garbage.

-----------UPDATE 8.24.10-----------

I just spoke with Mindy (owner) and informed me the two types the sell in combination:

Perionyx excavatus (aka Blue Worm) - generally found wherever manure and water meet (pig farms, horse stables, etc.
Eisenia fetida (aka Red Worm) - used often in the mainland and rare in Hawai'i, this worm is ideal for composting and is referenced in the Worms Eat My Garbage book that is also available at the store.

Some brief information is available on their website.

More on mixed colonies soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment